100% Dedicated
to our clients’ cause

Photo of Annie Shonai Basu

Frequently Asked Questions About Motor Vehicle Accidents

It’s difficult to know where to turn for guidance after a motor vehicle wreck. Our attorneys frequently hear the following questions:

What should I do after a car accident in Pasadena, Texas?

Assess any emergency medical needs and call 911. Report your accident to law enforcement and, if possible, document the scene with photos and get contact information from witnesses. Consult with a Houston lawyer right away.

Why should I get a lawyer after a car accident?

Insurance adjusters are pros at saving their employers’ money, and they will attempt to devalue your claim and pressure you into a lower settlement. An attorney can deal with the insurance company for you to protect you and make certain that the settlement offer is fair. If the insurance company is unreasonable, the attorneys at Basu Law Firm, PLLC, can see them in court.

How much in damages can I get after a car accident in Texas?

Every case is different. Your total compensation will relate heavily to your economic damages or quantifiable losses, such as medical bills and missed wages. Your noneconomic damages, such as pain and suffering, also have value. In cases where the defendant’s actions were particularly outrageous, you may also be eligible for punitive damages.

Should I tell my insurance company after a car accident in Texas?

Yes, in general, you need to let your own insurance company know about the accident as soon as possible. You are not, however, required to give a recorded statement.

Does it matter if I was at fault in a Texas car accident?

Texas uses a “proportionate responsibility” model of comparative negligence. That means responsibility for damages can be divided between the parties involved, but you can still make a claim as long as you are 50% or less at fault for the wreck.

When You Have Injuries, Let Us Help You

All our personal injury cases are taken on a contingency fee, so there is never any financial risk to you when filing a claim. Call Basu Law Firm, PLLC, at 713-369-5951 or use our online form to get started.